This position is based at UNH Extension’s Rockingham County office in Brentwood, N.H. Under the general guidance of Extension’s Food and Agriculture Program Team Leader, the field specialist will provide formal and informal education for businesses, communities, and individuals by organizing and implementing educational programs, including workshops, webinars, grower meetings, and in-person farm visits; disseminating current research-based information through development of fact sheets, articles, and other print and web-based resources; and providing one-on-one technical assistance in business management to improve business profitability.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programming and support
- Provide formal and informal education for businesses, communities, and individuals by organizing and implementing educational programs, including workshops, webinars, grower meetings, and in-person farm visits.
- Provide one-on-one technical assistance in business management to improve business profitability.
- Disseminate current research-based information to clients through development of fact sheets, articles, newsletters, and other print and web-based resources.
- Work independently and with a team of Extension state and field specialists to support, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate innovative, relevant, and impactful educational programs that enhance the profitability and sustainability of agricultural businesses in Rockingham County and statewide.
- Ensure programmatic involvement of under-served and under-represented audiences and that all educational programming is designed and conducted in full accordance with civil rights, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) policies and procedures.
Outreach and engagement
- Connect agricultural businesses with Extension staff and programs as appropriate when client needs fall outside the field specialist’s area of expertise.
- Involve the Rockingham County Cooperative Extension Advisory Council and local agricultural agencies and organizations in educational needs assessment.
- Develop partnerships and serve on committees and boards with local and state agricultural agencies and organizations such as Farm Service Agency, Farm Credit East, and the NH Department of Agriculture, Markets and Food. Strive for productive relationships with elected and appointed officials.
Professional development and additional duties
- Support the Extension Rockingham County Office Administrator (COA) in the performance of their duties, carry out appropriate delegated responsibilities, and serve as the COA when the need is identified and as advised by the program team leader and Extension administration.
- Develop and implement a professional development plan to maintain and enhance competence in appropriate agriculture subject areas and professional skills such as leadership, group process and facilitation, use of technology and instructional design.
- Accomplish other duties as assigned by the program team leader.
- A master’s degree and two years’ experience in agricultural economics, agricultural business management, farm business management, or a closely related field. Applicants with a bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field and three years relevant experience may be considered contingent upon their agreement to obtain a master’s degree within seven years of employment.
- High degree of subject matter competence in farm business management practices, business planning, and farm business analysis.
- Experience working with commercial agricultural producers and organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with coworkers and clients with a variety of values and interests and of all ages, race, ethnic backgrounds, income and education levels.
- Availability to work some nights and weekend days.
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle for frequent local travel. Mileage will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated competency in developing and delivering educational programs.
- Experience or familiarity with Extension programs.
UNH Extension Seeks a Field Specialist, Agricultural Business Management, Rockingham County is written by sdb3 for extension.unh.edu