This position is located in UNH Cooperative Extension’s Sullivan County office, Newport, N.H. The program assistant will work under the general direction of the Sullivan County Food and Agriculture field specialist to connect agricultural clientele with the resources and expertise of Extension’s Food and Agriculture program, assist field and state specialists with planning and hosting local events, and assist with development of communication and educational resources. This is a non-benefited position, 20 hours per week with occasional evening or weekend assignments. Salary is $20 to $25 per hour depending on qualifications and experience. Continuation of the position beyond two years is contingent on availability of funding. UNH is a federal contractor within the meaning of the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors. This position may require that you be vaccinated against COVID-19 in the future, unless you apply for and receive a religious or medical exemption.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to direct inquiries from agricultural businesses and the general public and connect clientele to Extension specialists. Travel to farms and agricultural businesses in and around Sullivan County will be necessary. Travel expenses will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Coordinate and market Extension outreach programs and activities of Extension’s Food and Agriculture program in and around Sullivan County.
- Build and maintain partnerships with county agencies and other groups and organizations in support of Extension programs and client needs. Serve on internal and external boards and committees at the county level, as appropriate, to enhance programs and professional competence.
- Participate in meetings and programs of the Food and Agriculture team and assist in coordinating arrangements for related meetings, programs and activities. Occasional statewide travel will be required.
- Ensure programmatic involvement of under-served and under- represented audiences and ensure that all educational programming is conducted in full accordance with civil rights, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA) and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) policies and procedures.
- With input from supervisor, develop and implement a professional development plan to enhance competence in assigned program activities, teaching methods, group process, and organizational skills.
- Maintain ongoing communication with supervisor keep them fully apprised of issues, programs and accomplishments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Bachelors’ degree in agriculture, horticulture, or a related field.
- Familiarity with agriculture production.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required, because staff person must be able to meet travel demands of the position. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Familiarity with Extension programs.
- Experience in educational program delivery.
- Experience planning and executing events.
The University System of New Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action employer. The University System is committed to creating an environment that values and supports diversity and inclusiveness across our campus communities and encourages applications from qualified individuals who will help us achieve this mission. The University System prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status, or marital status, genetic information, and political orientation. Application by members of all underrepresented groups is encouraged. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the U.S.
UNH Extension Seeks a Program Assistant, Food & Agriculture, in Sullivan County is written by sdb3 for extension.unh.edu